Natural Ways To Clean Your Ryder Diamonds
No matter if it’s an engagement ring, bracelet or a pair of earrings, your precious pieces need to be pampered and cleaned once in a while to make them shine like they are brand new. Indeed, diamonds are natural attractants for grease, which results in other elements such as dust, hand lotion, perspiration and other materials sticking to your jewellery and prevents your diamond from sparkling at maximum capacity.
Instead of using toxic ingredients to polish your jewellery, you can opt for a greener and more natural method to make your piece look good as new. See how you can join in on the sustainability movement by using some of our natural (and non costly!) jewellery cleaning technique below.
You probably have these ingredients in your cupboard already!
Dish Soap & Water
The simplest and most effective cleaner to tackle the buildup on your pieces is to use the classic soap and water mixture. All you need is some eco-friendly dish soap and water to create this magical cleaning solution. The best thing about this method? You can use it to clean all types of jewellery, including your engagement ring! Some of our personal favourites for dish soaps include: Ecos and Meyers. Choose natural and ecologically friendly soap brands with the least amount of toxic chemicals and be sure to watch out for harsh, abrasive ingredients such as ammonia, which can corrode fine jewellery. If you are unsure about anything, contact the Ryder team for their professional insights!
Otherwise, follow the simple steps:
- Mix and fully dissolve the soap into a cup of warm water.
- Dip your piece of jewellery in the liquid mixture.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles to gently scrub the ins and outs of the jewellery (you can use an old toothbrush for this!).
- Rinse gemstones with clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
- Make sure your jewellery is not at risk of slipping down the drain – we recommend you operate on a table or countertop.
Although some might recommend baking soda or vinegar to clean diamonds we advocate that less as it's better to avoid scratching your stones and metal.
Ryder Clean and Care
Not much of a fan of DIY solutions? Not a problem - come into our workshop for a Clean and Polish service. We recommend taking your pieces in for a professional assessment ideally once a year. Our jewellery experts will also inspect your diamonds for any potential damage to claws or stones to ensure that it’s in top-notch condition. While you’re at it, you can see our Hong Kong expert jewellery makers carefully crafting the next masterpiece in our Ready to Wear collection.
Here is our quick checklist of tips to ensure proper care of your diamonds-
- Regular cleaning will revive the brilliance of your diamonds.
- Store your jewellery in its original case, or carefully wrapped separately, to prevent it from being scratched.
- If you need to transport your jewellery, make sure it's carefully packed and protected in its original case or travel pouch.
For more expert tips on how to best look after your diamonds, you can visit our Diamonds & Care page.
Treat your diamonds well, and they will treat you well in return.